Mangy mice from Jackson

Tom Thatcher ttha at uhura.cc.rochester.edu
Mon Mar 11 23:35:23 EST 1996

In <4i24on$79v at usenet.srv.cis.pitt.edu> iddavis at vms.cis.pitt.edu writes:

>We have had several deliveries of C57BL/6 mice from Jackson, all
>with a very nasty dermatitis that ends up ulcerating the skin.

>Has anybody else had problems with them?

Well, not exactly, but two female mice that were bred by backcrossing a
transgenic line onto B10.A developed a dermatitis which led to sloughing
off of the skin.  Pathological exam revealed no ectoparasites.  I learned
from reading the strain lists on the web at Jackson that C57 mice
have a low frequency of developing a skin irritation which leads to
self-mutilation similar to what I saw in my colony.

--
Tom Thatcher                          | You can give a PC to a Homo habilis,
University of Rochester Cancer Center | and he'll use it, but he'll use it