location of VNTR loci

Keith Robison robison at nucleus.harvard.edu
Wed Mar 13 09:59:14 EST 1996

K H Wong (khwong at govtlab.gov.hk) wrote:
: Question: Where are the Variable Number Tandem Repeats loci in the human
: genome: in the introns, pseudogenes, between genes or even in the exons?
: Functionally, it seems that the VNTR loci should be present in DNA
: regions that do not carry functions or at least crucial functions.
: However, we are unable to find a published article that clearly excludes
: the presence of VNTR loci in the exons. Could anyone give us more
: information or articles on this?

Most VNTRs are in non-genic regions; I think you could confirm
this by looking at large human DNA sequences from GenBank.  However,
trinucleotide repeats do occur in certain genes, and clearly
qualify as VNTR loci.

Keith Robison
Harvard University
Department of Molecular & Cellular Biology
Department of Genetics

robison at mito.harvard.edu