mapped genomes?

Heikki Lehv=?iso-8859-1?Q?=E4slaiho Heikki.Lehvaslaiho at csc.fi
Wed Mar 13 06:46:09 EST 1996

andy wrote:

> I need to know two species whose genomes have been completely mapped. Any info
> rmation on what these species are or where I can find out would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
Andy,

Are you sure you mean 'mapped'? It is relatively well known that the genomes of
two organisms have been completely SEQUENCED by the Institute for Genomic
Research (TIGR). The Web address is

http://www.tigr.org/

The same company recently announced (see Science 271:1061) that they now have the
whole genome of a third organism, this time an archea. Also, in Nature (379:761)
there was a news article that a Japanese institute, Kazusa DNA Research
Institute, has just sequenced an unnamed cyanobecteria. The latter two genomes
are not yet in public databases.

A summary of features of the first two genomes are in TIGR database
(http://www.tigr.org/tdb/tdb.html). For the Haemophilus influenzae genome
information, you should have look at Sander's group's GeneQuiz analysis of it,
too: http://www.sander.embl-heidelberg.de/genequiz/haemophilus.html

The current situation for the whole genome sequence of free-living organisms is:

(I) Haemophilus influenzae 1.830 Mb -95
(II) Mycobacterium genitalium 0.58 Mb -95
(III) Methanococcus jannaschii 1,7 Mb -96
(IV) "Cyanobacterium sp." 3.5 Mb May -96

Some other projects:

Saccharomyces cerevisiae 12.5 Mb (...1996)
Escherichia coli 4.720 Mb (1996 ?)
Caenorhabdites elegans 100 Mb (1997 ?)
Homo sapiens 3000 Mb (2002 ?)

Cheers,
	       -Heikki
    _/  _/  _/  Heikki Lehväslaiho  <Heikki.Lehvaslaiho at CSC.FI>
   _/_/_/_/_/  CSC Scientific Computing
  _/  _/  _/  Tietotie 6, P.O. Box 405, FIN-02101 Espoo FINLAND
 _/  _/  _/  Phone: +358 0 457 2076       FAX: +358 0 457 2302
    _/      The Finnish EMBnet node <http://www.csc.fi/molbio/>