The Fleecing of America by Biomedical Research Administration

Bert Gold bgold at itsa.ucsf.edu
Mon Mar 18 12:51:13 EST 1996

In the 1960s and 1970s a good many economists proved that HUGE sums
of public funds, intended to help POOR people were ending up in
the pockets of (middle class) social workers and adminstrators of the
agencies charged with helping the poor.

As a result of this discovery and the initiative of economists
like Milton Friedman, major efforts were made to diminsh the
role of administration and increase the proportion of benefit
actually reaching the poor.  To some extent, this worked.

Now, scientific research has reached the same dizzying quagmire.
HUGE proportions of my tax dollars intended to be used for research
are being siphoned by ADMINISTRATORS; and when rules outlawing this
unconscionable, unethical behavior are debated, these ADMINSTRATORS
are forcefully arguing against their implementation.

NO WONDER THE REPUBLICANS ARE SUGGESTING THAT GOVERNMENT NO LONGER
HAS A ROLE IN RESEARCH; CORRUPTION HAS REACHED SUCH STAGGERING LEVELS
THAT THEY MAY INDEED BE CORRECT!

REFORM MUST COME, just as it did with HUD and old HEW.  It can be
SUDDEN and PAINFUL, or GRADUAL and less so.

Scientific Community, the choice is yours!

 Bert Gold, Ph.D.                         "If only we stay with that principle
 University of California, San Francisco   which counsels us always to hold
 School of Medicine                        to the difficult, then that which
 Department of Pediatrics                  now seems to us most foreign, will
 Program in Medical Genetics               become what we most trust and
 (415) 476-2850                            find most faithful." - R.M. Rilke