PhD problem

C:WINSOCKKA9QSPOOLMAIL joanne at dratt.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 19 05:32:20 EST 1996

I finished my degree in 1993 with a 2:1, I decided to take a breather
to decide where to go next, as I didn't want to jump into something
I'd regret later. I very soon realised I did want to carry on with a
Ph.D. Initially I began with deciding on a proposal in order to show
the institutions to which I was applying that I could think for
myself, but I soon got hooked on the proposal itself.

I found two supervisors who where interested in the project and we
made applications for funding. This has been ongoing for over 2 years
now, but finally a group has displayed a real interest, and although
nothing is certain, I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

I would like to agree with Miss Lucas's point, that there are no easy
routes. Having said this, despite the low patches, I've enjoyed the
struggle for the most part. It means that each small victory is your
own. I've re-learnt the old saying "if you want something done, do it
yourself."

To anybody out there who is struggling with whatever aspect of this
problem, getting a Ph.D. or struggling with one they've already got,
I'd just like to encourage you to keep going. Ann-Marie is right
when she says:
>  Nothing in life is easy, or fair, but its pretty much all possible
>  if you want it.

Having said this I do feel she is being a little hard. My fiance is
currently studying for a Ph.D. and has had a horendous time, (I can't
go into details) but suffice it to say, it's easy to sit on the outside
an want in, but it's equally easy to sit on a bad inside and see
outside as a greener life.

Anyhow I hope I've encouraged and not offended anyone.

joanne at dratt.demon.co.uk