The Fleecing of America by Biomedical Research Administration

Gconklin ghconkli at bessel.nando.net
Mon Mar 18 19:13:08 EST 1996

In article <Pine.A32.3.91.960318094016.48195A-100000 at itsa.ucsf.edu> Bert Gold <bgold at itsa.ucsf.edu> writes:
+
+In the 1960s and 1970s a good many economists proved that HUGE sums
+of public funds, intended to help POOR people were ending up in
+the pockets of (middle class) social workers and adminstrators of the
+agencies charged with helping the poor.
+
+As a result of this discovery and the initiative of economists
+like Milton Friedman, major efforts were made to diminsh the
+role of administration and increase the proportion of benefit
+actually reaching the poor.  To some extent, this worked.
+
+Now, scientific research has reached the same dizzying quagmire.
+HUGE proportions of my tax dollars intended to be used for research
+are being siphoned by ADMINISTRATORS; and when rules outlawing this
+unconscionable, unethical behavior are debated, these ADMINSTRATORS
+are forcefully arguing against their implementation.
+
+NO WONDER THE REPUBLICANS ARE SUGGESTING THAT GOVERNMENT NO LONGER
+HAS A ROLE IN RESEARCH; CORRUPTION HAS REACHED SUCH STAGGERING LEVELS
+THAT THEY MAY INDEED BE CORRECT!
+
+REFORM MUST COME, just as it did with HUD and old HEW.  It can be
+SUDDEN and PAINFUL, or GRADUAL and less so.
+
+Scientific Community, the choice is yours!
+
+
+ Bert Gold, Ph.D.                         "If only we stay with that principle
+ University of California, San Francisco   which counsels us always to hold
+ School of Medicine                        to the difficult, then that which
+ Department of Pediatrics                  now seems to us most foreign, will
+ Program in Medical Genetics               become what we most trust and
+ (415) 476-2850                            find most faithful." - R.M. Rilke
+
+
+
+

   What about ending that huge medical school subsidy for
research, as in YOUR job.  Are you in favor of that too?  Let the
private doctor fund medical genetics.  See how far you get.  Have
fun.

    REFORM MUST COME.  Your job should be FIRST.  Let it be
PAINFUL and SUDDEN.

    Try your own medicine.