Eirikr1 eirikr1 at
Wed Mar 20 02:13:52 EST 1996

in ref to:

[Subject:Re: plasma
[From: uthman at (Ed Uthman)
[Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 20:17:27 -0600
[In article <4iffaq$hi5 at>, eirikr1 at (Eirikr1)
[> Incorrect. Almost all paid plasma donor's PPP is labelled as "source
[> plasma" (as defined by the FDA). Source plasma is further fractionated
[> into injectable products. (that means it goes into people).

[But that doesn't become fresh-frozen plasma, cryo, or coag factor
[concentrates. It becomes injectable products which have been treated to
[kill all known pathogens. You give albumin as an example, but that is
[treated to kill pathogens. I am not aware of any cases of HIV or
[which have been transmitted in albumin. Ditto for globulin products, like
[HBIG and other antisera.

You stated plasma was only used to make reagents. As I said, injectable
means it goes into people. Yes, it is treated to reduce the bioburden of
viruses to a lower level. A far cry from "kill all known pathogens". Have
you heard of Cutter Biologics? They were sued by Hemophiliacs that
received HIV from clotting factor concentrates. Cutter obtains it's source
plasma from *paid* donors.

[Ed Uthman, MD
[(uthman at                 "Nemo liber est qui
[Pathologist                        corpore servit."
[Houston/Richmond, Texas, USA                  -Seneca

W. Baldwin,MD-S      Eirikr1 at, at
Physician Substitute   Sera-tec Biologics