[q] evolution course

Ana Gaisiner gaisine at io.org
Fri Mar 22 11:46:26 EST 1996

: Also we are looking for ideas of organisms which would be easy to use in a
: classroom setting to show interspecific variation and diversity (eg. fast
: plants)

I can suggest something for this part of your question. My recommendation
would be an aquarium with different varieties of guppies. You can have
the wild type guppies which are fairly plain but still have
distinguishing marks between them and you can also have some of the
colourfull and widely variable fancy guppies. These are all
interbreedable and will produce fertile offspring while the fancy guppies
can be use as an example of artificial selection, upon which most of our
agricultural industry is based. You need a minimum of a 10 gallon
aquarium, a heater set at about 78'F, some gravel and a good filter that
does not suck up small babies.

Good luck
Ana Gaisiner
gaisine at io.org