Overhead rates: Was: Re: The Fleecing of America by Biomedical Research Administration

Arthur E. Sowers arthures at access5.digex.net
Sun Mar 24 12:43:05 EST 1996

On 23 Mar 1996, glover martin wrote:

> Michael S. Straka (mike.straka at uchsc.edu) wrote:
> : On 20 Mar 96, Troy Shinbrot <shinbrot at nwu1.edu> wrote:
>

> : BTW, I'd be interested to hear about overhead rates at other
> : institutions.  Here (University of Colorado Health Sciences Center,
> : Denver) it is 51.1%.  Anybody care to go for the record?
>
> I believe here at Harvard the rate is 70%.
>
> Trei

This is all chickenfeed. I know one private biomedical research institute
where the overhead is about 105% or more. And, at some of the so called
"beltway bandits" around the beltway (otherwise known as rout 495 around
Washington, D.C.) it is at least 150%.  Most of the universities are
around 50% to 70-80%.

Art Sowers

* revised Feb 27,1996               BTW, my essays are entirely free.   *
* The "Contemporary Problems in Science Jobs" essays may be found at:   *
* http://www.sci-journal.com/ed/sowers1.txt                             *
* also can be found at FTP site:                                        *
* snorri.chem.washington.edu/pub/ysn/html_articles/Sowers_CPSJ.txt      *
* AAUP Listserver: majordomo at igc.apc.org - leave sub=blank  -           *
*      put in text of message:  subscribe aaup-general                  *
* AAUP email address: aaup at igc.apc.org                                  *
* YSN website is at: http://www.physics.uiuc.edu/     (hunt around)     *
* my nano HP is at: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/arthures   *
* Let me know if you can't reach these. Suggestions & email appreciated.*