Research Administration/Grantsmanship

David Mannock dmannock at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Mon Mar 25 15:11:21 EST 1996

There is no doubt in my mind that some areas of science are overfunded and that
this overfunding is largely political. One example of this is the amount of
double and triple dipping in the major Canadian granting agencies. I hear
stories of certain counsels being dominated by faculty and administrators from
certain regions of Canada which coincidently also have the highest proportions
of double dippers. In effect, a regionalist policy is being imposed for the
benefit of a few and to the detriment of many who are unable to get any funding.
Should there be a limit on the number of representatives from a given province
in these counsels?