correct enzyme name

Michael "P." Kolotila mkolotila at
Mon Mar 25 10:57:02 EST 1996

Hi Biforumers;
I have been having a discussion with one of my colleagues about the
correct name for the enzyme that makes ATP in mitochondria and
chloroplasts.  Our choices are:  1)  ATP synthase and 2) ATP
synthetase.  Going through textbooks haven't helped, they are pretty
evenly divided.  We need the definitive answer or at least one that
sounds really authoratative and really scientific.  TIA.
Michael P. Kolotila, Ph.D.                       e-mail:  mkolotila at necc.=
Biotechnology Program Coordinator        v-mail: 508-374-3887
Department of Natural Science               fax:     508-374-3723
Northern Essex Community College
Elliott Way
Haverhill, MA  01830