Postdoc repayment agreements; possible to get out of one?

Michael "P." Kolotila mkolotila at necc.mass.edu
Fri Mar 29 08:46:03 EST 1996

HI;
I had the same problem with a NIH post-doc.  Research and/or
teaching is okay with them.  It is however possible to get a stay of
execution for awhile, a year I think, pleading difficulty in getting a job.
As for getting out scot free only death works.  Good luck
Michael

I am on my second postdoc and want to escape into the real world,
but
there is one small problem.  In order to get this position, I had to sign
a "repayment agreement".  This must be something new, because I
did not
have to sign one at my first post-doc.  Basically, it states for each
month I work as a postdoc, up to one year, I incur a liability to repay
the money should I decide to leave the field and work in something
other
than medical or health related teaching or research.  For each month
after one year, the liability is removed, until at 2 years, there is no
repayment liability.  If I were to leave now, after 7 months, I would
have to repay 7/12 of what I been paid so far, or about $15,000.

So, my question is, does anyone have any experience with this?  Is it
possbile to get out of it?  I have no interest in doing research any
more, and teaching would be ok, but finding a job would probably be
problem.

Michael P. Kolotila, Ph.D.
Biotechnology Program Coordinator        v-mail: 508-374-3887
Department of Natural Science               fax:     508-374-3723
Northern Essex Community College
Elliott Way
Haverhill, MA  01830

 e-mail:  mkolotila at necc.mass.edu