Classifying Human genes

Mr. P.F. Linehan plinehan at
Thu May 2 07:29:37 EST 1996

In article <4ma2r6$23n at> 9224076 at writes:
->I had an interview yesterday and one of the questions raised was basically ..
->how would one go about determining what the genes discovered on the human
->genome do?
->I mean, afaik .. there is currently only one full eukaryotic genome sequenced,
->so far, that being s.cerivisea (sp?). SO, this could be used as a comparison
->for some of the genes discovered but in the main the genes and their products
->will have no comparative predeccesors. I know one could predict their structure
->to some degree and attempt to elucidate at least some of their function from
->that but again .. this will only go so far.
->-What is he intention once the genome has been sequenced? How is it intended
->to identity their properties?
->I'd be interested in any opinions anyone had on this .. as well as possible
->references to source of information be they journals or web sites.
->Stephen Mulcahy
->4th Industrial Biochemistry Undergraduate
->University of Limerick, Ireland

There is a project in France under the direction of Piotr Slominiski
whereby the group at Gif sur Yvette (near Paris) is systematically
deleting genes of unknown function and then searching for a phenotype.

This seems to mean (once the deletion mutant is obtained) growing
the yeast at every possible temperature, using every possible
growth medium &c. &c.

Hope this is useful.