Of Memorials and Consciousness

Rachelle Zalman-Miller rachelle.zalman-miller at idealink.washington.dc.us
Mon May 27 17:32:00 EST 1996

Of Memorials for the Past and Consciousness for Present and Future

As you will remember, the Einstein list came into being on May
29th, 1995, on the Memorial Day holiday last year, and I also gave
the day an additional title, a Holyday for Consciousness, because
it was on this day in 1919, just after the end of World
War I, which was called the War to End all Wars, that the
international scientific community was able to cooperate to look
up at the sun during that rare planetary solar systemic event we
call an eclipse, and corroborate the predictions regarding Light
of Einstein's Theory of Relativity.  The scientific expedition was
led by Lord Eddington, an astronomer, an Englishman and a Quaker.
Einstein, a German-born self described world citizen, also
described himself as a pacifist, and stated that if he were
to choose among the religious doctrines that which fit him best,
it would be that of the Quakers, because of the spiritual
importance and emphasis they give to the living of Peace.

Yesterday, I attended a Quaker meeting.  It was my way of
celebrating Memorial Day, because as much as any group or
organization, or set of caring individuals, the Quakers have done
so much for the world to help us all learn peace, make peace, teach
peace, and keep peace, and did much to make conscientious objection
possible and popular, as Einstein advocated and urged for all young
men (and women).

To me, the only way the living can fully honor and consecrate the
deaths of the millions of young men who have died as soldiers, of
defense as well as offense, in wars that occurred because of the
flawed, limited visions of political national leaders, and the even
more millions of men, women and children, who have died as civilians
attacked and murdered by other soldiers around the world, is to
learn, make, teach and keep peace. Let us call on all political
leaders to fully practice and fund the methods and technologies of
peace - the schools of conflict resolution, the methods of non-
violent change, the sharing of information to establish peace and
justice.  These methods cost far less than the building of weapons,
and the training in the use of weapons.  When the best and
brightest are funded, prepared, and deployed as unarmed heroes in
preventive conflict resolution as they have been in past armed
reactive military efforts, then we will be living the life that the
Quakers, and others that Einstein so profoundly admired, like Gandhi,
as well as King, Mandela, and others have called us to lead. To me,
these are the greatest heroes I recall on this very day. Theirs are
our victorious battles of the enlightened human spirit, and they were
won without weapons and uniforms, without nuclear bombs or landmines;
they were fought with the human heart and won without firing a shot.

The Quaker meeting is given to intense silence and personal
reflection, interrupted only occasionally by the voice of one of
the friends present who wishes to speak their thought. I
interrupted the silence of the meeting to tell of this list, of the
possibilities of peace via the Internet,  and of my intention to
work with all present to learn, teach, make and peace, for every
precious human life.

I celebrate this day with all the members of the list. I am aware
that each and every one is Holy, and we all can, and shall, live,
choose, make, teach and keep peace. This is the message I wish to
consecrate, on this day of recalling our violent human past in
Memorium, and even more important to the future, remembering the
important, thoughts, messages and lessons of the life, Light and
world community of Albert Einstein, this is the message I wish to
consecrate, on this day of Consciousness.

Rachelle OneFamily
List Manager
Everyone's Einstein