Pepsi and Coke as toilet cleaners

Depree, Jonathan A depreej at lincoln.ac.nz
Wed Nov 13 12:57:15 EST 1996

In article <55v1o1$rf3 at oravannahka.Helsinki.FI> westerli at cc.Helsinki.FI (Thomas O Westerling) writes:
>From: westerli at cc.Helsinki.FI (Thomas O Westerling)
>Subject: Re: Pepsi and Coke as toilet cleaners
>Date: 8 Nov 1996 10:24:01 GMT

>Cynthia Donahey (cdonahey at freenet.columbus.oh.us) wrote:

>: I read an article in the frugal living bulletin board about using the
>: colas as toilet cleaners.  They're supposed to dissolve hardened material,
>: etc.  I suppose they're biodegradable.  How do they work - anyone?

Coke is surprisingly acid I recently measured the pH at 2.2 (presumably from a
combination of carbonic and phosphoric acids).
But if you want something to remove carbonate scale, I suggest you check out
no-frills white vinegar. It has about the same pH but no sugar. I'm not sure
how it compares price-wise.
It's also good for removing scale from steam irons.
Jonathan Depree,
Lincoln University, P.O. Box 84, Canterbury, New Zealand.

Socrates was a famous Greek Teacher who went around giving
people advice. They killed him.   (school history howler)