H2O Condensation - or a Sky Spring

prescott at mayo.edu prescott at mayo.edu
Fri Nov 15 16:12:29 EST 1996

In article <56ibg8$i38 at login.freenet.columbus.oh.us>,
cdonahey at freenet.columbus.oh.us (Cynthia Donahey) wrote:

> Sometime ago, I read a very interesting article about a renmote village
> along the South American coast.  They lived in a region where fresh water
> was almost non-existent.  A bath was a unheard of luxury.  Anyway,
> someohow they had trapped the moisture coming up from the ocean and
> condensed it somewhere near the village.  I remember some comments being
> made about wasted drips of waters.  In an off way, they seemed to be
> talking about a new kind of spring.  Can anyone pin this down a little.
> What is going on currently?  Most springs overflow with resulting mosses,
> ferns, and wildflowers.  Some cut out pieces of polyurethane foam (filled
> with dirt) around this spring might be nice.  They could even plant mints.

I think you are refering to a project in Chile(?) that uses very fine
plastic netting to trap moisture.  As the air moves up the moutainside and
as the evening cools, the air cannot hold as much moisture. The netting (I
beleive) acts as a surface for the moisture to condense and can be trapped
in gutters at the bottom of the large (2m X 5m) vertical nets.  The water
is collected and very easily flows down the mountain to the village and
can be used for irrigation, etc.