Rainforest: AFRICA/BRAZIL Interns/Volunteers => Summer Projs

crw crw at loop.com
Sun Nov 17 20:05:28 EST 1996

Plz help share campuswide - forward & repost where there may be interest
...Thanks!    (-:

UPDATE: AFRICA & BRAZIL

RE: Campaigns addressing Female Circumcision/Genital Mutilation (FGM)
         with special sensitivity to cultural practices;
    Grassroots community programs

Summer '97 Project Directors & Volunteers/Interns
         Online Applications
         Open to All

Hello,

Things are moving along quite well, we're happy to report.

Online applications are now available for Volunteer/Intern & Project
Director positions.

In all, there will be approximately 20 to 30 projects and we anticipate a
need for 200 to 300 Volunteers/Interns.

We are especially grateful for the great enthusiasm that is building up for
Summer '97, particularly as this year marks Crossroads' 40th Anniversary.

Thanks!

                            LaVerne Brown
                            Head, Executive Offices
                            Operation Crossroads

                            Cecil Washington, Jr.
                            Research Consultant

                            tel: 212-870-2106

                            E-Mail: griots at juno.com

       Telecommunications UPSURGE: E-Mail & the Internet

Projects in Ghana and The Gambia:

        Distance Learning/Computer Literacy Programs

NOTE: for a detailed UPDATE REPORT (by attached mail only) re:

1) GHANA: Rural Distance Learning/Electronic Education, and
2) Telecommunications Development in Africa

...please send your E-Mail request to:

"AFRICA: TELCOM UPDATE"<crw at loop.com>

with " AFRICA: TELCOM UPDATE " in the <<Subject: field>>

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Rainforest, Ecology and the Environment: Africa & The Diaspora

    B r a z i l i a n    R a i n F o r e s t    P r o j e c t s

                    << B   A   H   I   A >>

One of the sites under consideration is the Mata Atlantica (Coastal Forest)
area in the Southern Cone of the State of Bahia. This is a place where local
poor communities are struggling to gain access to land via articulated
political effort. There are over a dozen officially recognized Land Reform
Settlemnts in this region, and the former landless peasants are willing now
to promote efforts to save the remnants of this unique patch of rich,
bio-diverse forest, as well as to secure their access to land by changing
the situation of Land Tenure in that area.

We have been recently contacted by leaders of these communities seeking help
with the various projects they deem vital. These projects will include
programs concerning Reforestation, Youth Development, Education and
Training, as well as Ecological Projects.

[I N T'L  S T U D I E S]  [W O R K-T R A V E L]  [I N T E R N S H I P S]

PROJECTS / RESEARCH / AREAS OF FOCUS
------------------------------------

Ecology/Environment/Conservation..Traditional Medicine..<<ROOTS>>..Oral
History..Primary Care..Archaeology..Community Dev..Reforestation..Media
Distance Learning..Art..Ethnomusicology..Public Health..Construction
Wildlife..Humanities..Computer Literacy..Agriculture/Farming..Nursing
Teaching/Tutoring..Business Dev..African/Brazilian Language Study
Youth Programs..Recreation..Traditional Religion..Anthropology..Dance

[Special campaigns addressing Female Circumcision & Genital Mutilation]

C O U N T R I E S: Botswana, The Gambia, Ghana, Eritrea, Ivory Coast,
Kenya, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe and Brazil
(in South America). Additional countries & projects to be announced

    C E L E B R A T I N G    C U L T U R E    A N D    H I S T O R Y

       GLOBAL VOLUNTEERS :    A f r i c a    &    B r a z i l

=> This year's theme: "Africa & Brazil, marching into the 21st Century"

  "...Promoting economic development, ecological wisdom, social justice,

           grassroots democracy and non-violent solutions..."

                           Summer 1997

                     Living/Working/Traveling
                Internships/Field Work/Group Projects
                        Independent Study

                    The Forgotten Human FACE

   V o l u n t e e r / I n t e r n   I n f o    b y    E - M a i l :

           1] include your full street address, in case our
                    equipment malfunctions

           2] E-Mail your request to   <<B O T H>>   addresses:

  =>        "Diaspora Brochure\Application" <griots at juno.com>       <=
     =>           "Volunteers\Interns" <oca at igc.apc.org>         <=

            Plz type  " << V O L U N T E E R >> "  in the SUBJECT field
                     enclosed in double brackets <<...>>   !!!

                ...or contact our office directly
                        by letter or phone

A L L   A R E   W E L C O M E

Project  D I R E C T O R S / Group  L E A D E R S  go thru a separate
     application process with earlier deadlines (min. age, 26 - with
     relevant expertise, experience directing group projects, living
     and/or travel experience in Africa or similar setting), experience
     leading multi-racial/ethnic work projects or groups

     To receive the application and job description, snail mail us,
     or send an E-Mail request to <BOTH>:

   =>       "Program Director Info" <oca at igc.apc.org>,          <=
       =>    "Group Leader Packet" <griots at juno.com>       <=

     1) include a brief description of your interests & background

           [send us your snail mail address, phone & E-Mail]

     2) plz type   "<< L E A D E R >>"  in the SUBJECT field
                 enclosed in double brackets <<...>>  !!!

-Since 1957, 10,000 Crossroads participants (students, professionals,
     persons with skills, persons of goodwill, etc.) representing
     over 500 universities, colleges & organizations, have come
     together, committed to fostering a better world

-Students usually arrange with their schools to receive credit for their
     summer experience (typically 7 to 15 units)

-Cited by President Kennedy for providing the example that "inspired" the
     creation of the Peace Corps, and on which the Peace Corps was
     modeled

APPLICATION DEADLINE:  Due now & during the coming weeks->cut off
                          announcement is pending

                       Late applications will be accepted
                          only as space and time permit

                       Crossroads assists Volunteers in raising funds
                          for their travel/living expenses; early
                          application is essential

PROGRAM DATES:         End of June/early July through mid-August
                          (approx dates)

ORIENTATION:           There will be a several-day Orientation in New
                          York prior to leaving. The program starts from
                          & ends in New York

-This is an INTENSE living, work and learning experience at the grassroots
     level in Africa & Brazil where some of the modern conveniences taken
     for granted in Western countries, will not be present

-Crossroads Volunteers go to Africa & Brazil NOT to impose their own
     Western values, but to seek comprehension of counterpart
     values; they are challenged to adjust to local ways of doing and
     viewing many things

    O P E R A T I O N   C R O S S R O A D S   A F R I C A ,   I n c .

               475 Riverside Dr., N.Y., N.Y. 10115-0050

            Tel: 212-870-2106    E-Mail:  oca at igc.apc.org

                 Dr. James H. Robinson - Founder

             LaVerne Brown - Head, Executive Offices

             Program Development Advisors / Directors

   Dr. Osei Darkwa - Distance Learning/Computer Literacy Program
    Dr. Edmundo Freitas Lopes - Rainforest/Ecology/Conservation
 Dr. Edmund Browne - Medicine & Health/Computer-Aided Medical Instruction

               ...a non-profit org: IRS 501(c)(3)