Why freeze autorads?

William P Prichett William_P_Prichett at sbphrd.com
Wed Nov 20 18:43:26 EST 1996

Sam,
    The answer to your question comes down to photochemistry/physics.
The silver grains require energy from more than one electron to take it
to a stable energy level that would thus be considered exposed and will
the develop in the photographic chemicals.  Thus it need multiple
collisions to absorb enough energy and if it does not, it will revert to
ground state.  In the cold the partially energized silver grains are kept
a little more stable while awaiting more collisions to raise it to a
truely stable energy level.  And this produces a better sensitivity.
This is a laymans explanation, as I am not a chemist, but a a biochemist
 (Big difference).

Bill

--
The Password is "RESPECT"