Why freeze autorads?

S. Silverman silvermans at pt.cyanamid.com
Wed Nov 20 19:31:25 EST 1996

Samuel C. Blackman wrote:

> My labmates and I, obviously with too much time on our hands, were
> wondering why we put our 32P-labelled autorads in the freezer at -80C.
> Our advisor hypothesized that the low temp. promotes a more "focused"
> autorad, but without a good explanation for that.  The decay equation
> has no mention of temperature, so we're stumped.  Any ideas?
>
> -- Sam
>
> --
> Samuel C. Blackman        ! InterNet : blackman at tigger.uic.edu
> MD/PhD Student (4/8)      ! Disclaimer: I speak for me, not UIC!
> Univ. of Ill. at Chicago  ! Quote : "Quandro potro io finir di stupire?"
> Dept. of Pharmacology     ! Phone : 312/996-4983 (lab)  Fax: 312/996-1225

	The absorption and emission properties of the material in
intensifying screens depend on temperature.  The screens are more
efficient at low temp.  It will take someone with more familiarity with
molecular orbital theory than me to give you a more precice reason.  This
is probalby the origin of "put in in the freezer" mentality.  Also,
perhaps, the thought that for long exposures, the material in the bands
will diffuse less.

--------Sandy
--
Sanford Silverman               >Opinions expressed here are my own<
American Cyanamid