Life at altitude

Eric Millington eric at stave.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 27 14:08:50 EST 1996

I am new to the internet and this group, so forgive me if this posting
is inappropriate.

When travelling at high altitude in an aircraft I frequently look out
and wonder what type and variety of life exists on the other side of the
window.

I suppose the question that I am asking is to what altitude does the
biosphere extend?

I appreciate that there may be great variations caused by organisms
being carried aloft in convective airmasses to an area that they do not
strictly 'inhabit'.  Once up there are they killed by cold and ionising
radiation?  Does the rain from a collapsing thundercloud shower us with
expiring micro-organisms?

I would welcome comments.
--
Eric Millington