Life at altitude

Eric Millington eric at stave.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 28 12:59:23 EST 1996

Forgive me if this is the wrong place for this posting, but I was
wondering whether anybody can answer the following questions.

Up to what altitude does the biosphere extend?

When looking out of an aircraft window at 28000 feet are the only
lifeforms on the other side of the glass those that happen to have been
elevated up there by convective air currents?

What is the critical factor determining the upper limits?

We are all aware of strange organisms living in deep ocean trenches with
weird metabolisms, but what about lifeforms in the other direction?

In anticipation,
--
Eric Millington