Integration of Ecology and Economy: Compensating the Public for use of public property; i.e., natural resources

John C. Champagne jchampag at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Sat Nov 30 02:53:43 EST 1996

On Fri, 29 Nov 1996, L.A. Moran wrote:

> This is as far as I got. Since it is obviously wrong I assume that most
> of the rest of your posting is equally flawed.
>
> I suggest that you read S.J. Gould. Try his latest book "Full House". A
> large part of this book is devoted to explaining why your view of evolution
> is not correct.

I think Gould's metaphor of a drunkard comming out of a bar and
staggering randomly down the sidewalk, and occasionally bumping up
against that wall, the limit of minimum necessary complexity, could be
modified.  The level of minimum necessary complexity, (the most simple
arrangement that is possible while preserving the condition of life),
seems to not have been approached since the begining of life.  There has
been a racheting up of complexity since that first manifestation of
living systems.  (Admitedly, our knowledge on this point is quite
limited.)

 Chemistry --> autocatalytic RNA --> bacteria --> eukaryotes -->

     multi-celled organisms --> social organization --> culture -->

	 civilization

I am not aware of any evidence that there has been a change in a
direction opposite that indicated by this chain; i.e., once a particular
level of organization has been reached, it persists, creating a new
'floor' of minimum complexity, (or, a new 'wall', in Gould's metaphor).

(Of course, this intricate complexity will collapse if energy ceases to
flow into the system.)

John

Walter Cronkite for President!  Franklin Thomas for President!
Pass in on... They would do it if we ask.