RFD: Make bionet.general moderated

FAH DrHeasley at Chemistry.com
Wed Oct 2 06:32:44 EST 1996

On Mon, 30 Sep 1996 13:39:56 +0100, D.Banks at surrey.ac.uk (Danny Banks)
wrote:

(most everything cut)

|What would the guidelines be ? Zapping all the get-rich-quick schemes would be
|obvious, but what about people advertising second hand lab equipment ? What
|about adverts for people who want equipment ? If a company responds to a
|"Where can I get xyz ?" post with a post saying "We have all the xyz's you
|could ever need - look at our web site", should that be zapped ? What about
|posting URLs of commercial web sites - does that count as advertising and
|therefore should be zapped ?
|
|Moderation could, IMHO, lead to the removal of some posts that are questionably
|on-topic. I'd rather see these than have them moderated out.
|
|*waffle mode off*
|
|Danny.

I think you're on target here.  It's awfully difficult to draw an
evenhanded distinction between "advertising" and everything else.  In
fact, if advertising is any posting that could lead to profit, a very
good argument has been made that almost everything on usenet is an ad
of some kind, whether by a commercial entity, an organization of any
kind or an individual seeking better recognition.

Frank Heasley, Ph.D.
Principal
FSG Online - Jobs and Resumes in Biotechnology, Science and Medicine
http://www.chemistry.com