RFD: Make bionet.general moderated

Wed Oct 2 23:26:36 EST 1996

> And even more slippery is what to do about advertisements which are on topic
> for the group. I have seen several out-and-out adds for reagents, microscopes
> and services which are of interest to the audience of this group.

A quick aside on the ad issue and then back to the moderation
discussion further below: Whether ads are "on target," "spam," or
whatever, they are against BIOSCI/bionet regulations.  This doesn't
mean that they don't get posted; obviously several do slip through
each day, just like on many highways people drive faster than the
posted speed limit.  It has been our experience that legitimate
businesses respect our regulations when we ask behind the scenes for
their compliance.  We take action on serious violations that are
brought to our attention and when we think we can easily identify the
sender.  We don't have time to try to track down spams from bogus
addresses.

> I really do think that having a general unmoderated
> group for the hierarchy is a very good idea (even as a lighting rod to provide
> a place within the hierarchy for the posts which are not acceptable to the
> moderated groups)

We agree on this.  Nonetheless, as I mentioned a few days ago to
Cornelius, we can float a proposal for a bionet.general.moderated
group if he so desires and leave the current group as is.  I have not
heard anything back from him on this.

				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson
				BIOSCI/bionet Manager