Ion-free water for human consumption?

Ned Mantei mantei at neuro.biol.ethz.ch
Fri Oct 4 08:43:18 EST 1996

In article <532td5$tao at winx03.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>,
krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de (Cornelius Krasel) wrote:

> z (un691cs at genius.embnet.dkfz-heidelberg.de) wrote:
> > So my question is: is it healthy or not to drink distilled or VE water.
> > are there any studies that describe damage to the organism ?
>
> AFAIK it's an urban legend. BTW, VE water is usually prepared by two
> consecutive ion exchanger steps.

Surely an urban legend. Compare a food slurry (or vegetable soup, or
isotonic saline) with tap water and with distilled water. The difference
between tap and distilled is by comparison with the soup or saline almost
nothing. The cells lining your intestine are not at equilibrium with the
contents of the intestinal lumen.

--
Ned Mantei
Dept. of Neurobiology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology