Life on Mars = Life in Cosmos ?

Depree, Jonathan A depreej at lincoln.ac.nz
Mon Oct 7 15:54:04 EST 1996

In article <52ou4b$et6 at news.uit.no> Robert Andersen <ob295ra at stud.hifm.no> writes:
>From: Robert Andersen <ob295ra at stud.hifm.no>
>Subject: Re: Life on Mars = Life in Cosmos ?
>Date: 30 Sep 1996 16:56:43 GMT

>Civilizational life on Mars? - no - I got the feeling that it is not
>possible - we could then expect the see traces of activities on the
>surface. As some scientist suggest only at the early stage of Mars
>history it was conditions for life to develop. Did you know that Mars is
>to small to keep any atmosphere and that of course make any further
>evolution impossible?

Mars does so have an atmosphere but it is much thinner than that of Earth. I
believe the major problem with the evolution of life on Mars was that the
output of carbon dioxide by the martian volcanos dropped away too soon.
Mars then cooled to a point where water could no longer exist in liquid form
and hence life became impossible. Life did not exist long enough for
intelligent life to evolve on Mars.

Jonathan Depree,
Lincoln University, P.O. Box 84, Canterbury, New Zealand.

Socrates was a famous Greek Teacher who went around giving
people advice. They killed him.   (school history howler)