Life on Mars = Life in Cosmos ?

Christian Velten cve at ifm.mh-hannover.de
Tue Oct 8 05:41:26 EST 1996

In article <844444904.6620.1 at pplros.demon.co.uk>, Anthony Tomlinson
<tomlinson at pplros.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Or maybe I'm missing the point of faith.....  Anyway, I thought NASA's
> claims had been soundly discredited by other less "motivated" scientists?

No. No 'discrediting' at all. Fact is that there is another explanation
possible for every single result of the Marslife-study. Some even with a
higher chance than the possibility of martian life origin.

But: the combination of all the single results and the coordinated
location on the rock allows to postulate the hint that ancient martian
living organisms could have taken place in the formation of the specific
found structures.

Discussion and criticism is always an impotant part of science. Every
result and finding has to be seen from as much views as possible. That is
(or should be) independent of faith, religion or believe.

Christian

--      "Two bands or not two bands? - THAT is the question!"

Christian Velten
Institute for Molecular Biology              cve at ifm.mh-hannover.de
Hannover Medical School                      Compuserve:100736,2071
OE 5250, Konstanty-Gutschow-Straße 8         Tel.: 0511/532-5957
D-30623 Hannover, Germany                    Fax:  0511/532-4283
Homepage:  <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/C_Velten/>