chicken egg a unicellular structure?

Steve M. Brown smb at sierra.net
Wed Oct 9 12:23:03 EST 1996

I can only figure this one out logically, but I could be wrong. Since a
chicken egg is, indeed, an egg it is a gamete produced by meiosis, and
it is prepared for fertilization from a sperm cell with half the
chromosomes needed to produce a chicken. If the egg were multicellular,
this would mean than several sperm could fertilize the egg, resulting in
several chickens. We know this doesn't happen, so my guess is that the
chicken egg is one cell, unless the other cells can't be fertilized for
some reason.