Ion-free water for human consumption?

Colin Bigam cbigam at
Thu Oct 10 16:28:03 EST 1996

Thusly spake klenchin at (Dima Klenchin):

>In article <53m3hv$alu at>,
>   cbenson at CSWNET.COM (H.C. Benson) wrote:

>->My interest is in deuterium oxide which contaminates all terrestrial
>->water supplies at a ratio ranging from 1:5000 to 1:7000.  It is a puzzle
>->to me why so little research has been done on the deleterious effects of
>->exposure to these concentrations over the human lifespan.
>->H. C. Benson			cbenson at

>So, what's wrong with heavy water and why would it be deleterious?

Well replacing H2O with D2O in the body is fatal at a certain
concentration, but I seem to recall it being somewhere around either 1% or
10% of the total water in your body.

That's acute effects. I don't think I've ever heard of long term effects of
D2O. Given that it's always been there, it seems like we would have evolved
with our bodies being used to it.

|         "Her eyes had small friendly lightning        |
|          walking across them."  (R. Brautigan)        |
|  Colin Bigam:  *****NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS!!!*****    |
|  cbigam at                 Public Key available  |