Biology Research

Steve Haas Steveh at worldnet.att.net
Mon Oct 14 22:50:01 EST 1996

Jacquelyn Denise Vinson wrote:

> I am attempting to do research on cognition in animals -- specifically in
> dolphins and/or whales.  I have no background in biology so this will be a
> layman's report.  One avenue I have been considering is whether
> dolphin/whale evolution (from sea to land to sea) has any bearing on
> intelligence.  If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, whatever, please share
> them with me.  My e-mail address is jackiev at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jackie

I would say this is a dangerous avenue to pursue...you are equating cognition
with intelligence, and just begging someone to define either one. To date, as
far as I know, no one HAS a good definition.  The best you could do in this
report is give some experiments demonstrating awareness in those animals, and
let the reader draw his own conclusions...

Heck, I have doubts how cognitive a lot of the people I know are....

Steve Haas