Ion-free water for human consumption?

Depree, Jonathan A depreej at lincoln.ac.nz
Wed Oct 16 09:25:18 EST 1996

<snipped to conserve space>

>Hello Cornelius,
>My interest is in deuterium oxide which contaminates all terrestrial
>water supplies at a ratio ranging from 1:5000 to 1:7000.  It is a puzzle
>to me why so little research has been done on the deleterious effects of
>exposure to these concentrations over the human lifespan.
>H. C. Benson                    cbenson at cswnet.com
>EUREKA! Idea Development        http://www.ntid.com/eureka

 At the risk of being trolled I'd say that if deuterium oxide contaminates all
water at that level then we should be adapted to deal with it.

Deuterium can replace hydrogen in biomolecules however, and it it replaces a
crucial hydrogen in either an enzyme or enzyme substrate it can slow the rate
of reaction significantly. I would also be interested to know the effects of
drinking water with an unusually high deuterium content over a long period. I
doubt there would be much effect given the low proportion of deuterium and the
low chance of hitting those critical hydrogens.

Jonathan Depree,
Lincoln University, P.O. Box 84, Canterbury, New Zealand.

Socrates was a famous Greek Teacher who went around giving
people advice. They killed him.   (school history howler)