Ion-free water for human consumption?

Jim Large jml at nomos.com
Wed Oct 16 09:37:51 EST 1996

Depree, Jonathan A wrote:
> Deuterium can replace hydrogen in biomolecules however, and it it
> replaces a crucial hydrogen in either an enzyme or enzyme substrate
> it can slow the rate of reaction significantly. I would also be
> interested to know the effects of drinking water with an unusually
> high deuterium content over a long period. I doubt there would be
> much effect given the low proportion of deuterium and the low
> chance of hitting those critical hydrogens.

    WARNING: The following is a baseless, uninformed rumor, propagated
    by a rank amateur.  Go on!  Read it.  You know you want to...

The way I've heard it, the altered physical properties of deuterium
bearing molecules can have a profound effect on processes that take
place on or near biological membranes.  Supposedly, consuming large
quantities of D20 can be harmful or even fatal, but in this case,
"large" means more than most of us are ever likely to see in our
lifetimes.

-- Jim Large