work-study> RAINFOREST Eco-Projects BRAZIL/AFRICA

crw crw at loop.com
Sat Oct 19 13:22:24 EST 1996

Please Re-Post: Volunteers & Project Directors Sought

Hi,

Thanks so much in advance if you will help bring the information below to
others, by sharing or forwarding or re-posting.  We hope to reach as broad a
base of potentially interested persons as possible.

Would greatly appreciate your help.

                           Best regards,

                                 LaVerne &
                                 Cecil

                                 oca at igc.apc.org
                                 crw at loop.com

Africa & Brazil:  Info & Apps Now Available On-Line

RE:   Summer '97 Positions Available / Application Now Open

1]  Project  D i r e c t o r s / Group Leaders (details below), and

2]  V o l u n t e e r s / Participants (applications available ON-LINE)

Operation Crossroads: Celebrating Our 40th Anniversary

P   r   o   j   e   c   t         H   u   m   a   n   i   t   y

[I N T'L  S T U D I E S]  [W O R K-T R A V E L]  [I N T E R N S H I P S]

Ecology & Environment..Traditional Medicine..Oral History..Folklore
Primary Care..Archaeology..Community Dev..Reforestation..Media
Distance Learning..Art..Ethnomusicology..Public Health..Construction
Wildlife..Humanities..Computer Literacy..Agriculture/Farming
Teaching/Tutoring..Business Dev..African/Brazilian Language Study
Youth Programs..Recreation..Traditional Religion..Anthropology

For a special UPDATE on the Computer Literacy/Distance Learning Prog in
         Ghana, plz send E-Mail with "Ghana<=>Distance Learning UPDATE"
         in the Subject field to:

         "Ghana: Distance Learning UPDATE" <crw at loop.com>

             Project Directed by Dr. Osei Darkwa
                 Faculty-Univ. of Ill-Chicago

      B r a z i l i a n   R a i n F o r e s t   P r o j e c t s

                           B A H I A

One of the sites under consideration is the Mata Atlantica (Coastal Forest)
area in the Southern Cone of the State of Bahia. This is a place where local
poor communities are struggling to gain access to land via articulated
political effort. There are over a dozen officialy recognized Land Reform
Settlemnts in this region, and the former landless peasants are willing now
to bring up efforts to save the remnants of this unique patch of
rich-biodiversity-holding forest, as well as to secure their access to land
by changing the situation of Land Tenure in that area.

We have been recently contacted by leaders of these communities seeking help
with the various projects they deem vital. These projects will include
programs on Reforestation, Youth Development, Education and Training, as
well as Ecological Projects.

   [Edmundo Freitas Lopes-Doctoral Researcher/Project Developer]

C O U N T R I E S: Botswana, The Gambia, Ghana, Eritrea, Ivory Coast,
Kenya, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe and
Brazil (in South America). Additional countries to be announced

       A    N    N    O    U    N    C    E    M    E    N    T

    C E L E B R A T I N G    C U L T U R E    A N D    H I S T O R Y

       GLOBAL VOLUNTEERS :    A f r i c a    &    B r a z i l

 * This year's theme: "Africa & Brazil, marching into the 21st Century"

 * New projects are planned for Brazil

                            Summer 1997

                     Living/Working/Traveling
                Internships/Field Work/Group Projects
                        Independent Study

                      The Forgotten Human Side

Receiving On-Line Brochure & Application

H o w   t o   g e t   V o l u n t e e r   I n f o    b y    E - M a i l :

           1] include your full street address, in case our
                    equipment malfunctions

           2] E-Mail your request to   <<B O T H>>   addresses:

  =>              "Brochure-Application" <crw at loop.com>           <=
    =>        "Summer Prog: Africa-Brazil" <oca at igc.apc.org>    <=

            Include  **V O L U N T E E R**  in the Subject field

                ...or contact our office directly
                        by letter or phone

A L L   A R E   W E L C O M E

-Since 1957, 10,000 Crossroads participants (students, professionals,
     persons with skills, persons of goodwill..and others) representing
     over 500 universities, colleges, organizations, etc., have come
     to work together for a better world

-Students usually arrange with their schools to receive credit for their
     summer experience (typically 7 to 15 units)

-Cited by President Kennedy for providing the example that "inspired" the
     creation of the Peace Corps, and on which the Peace Corps was
     modeled

APPLICATION DEADLINE:  Due now & during the coming weeks->cut off has not
                          yet been announced

                       Late applications **WILL** be accepted
                          but only as space and time permit

                =>     It's important to submit the application ASAP & to
                          reserve a place

                       Crossroads assists Volunteers in raising funds
                          for their travel/living expenses

PROGRAM DATES:         End of June/early July through mid-August
                          (approx dates)

ORIENTATION:           There will be a several-day Orientation in New
                          York prior to leaving. The program starts from
                          & ends in New York

-This is an INTENSE living, work and learning experience at the grassroots
     level in Africa & Brazil where some of the modern conveniences taken
     for granted in Western countries, will not be present

-Crossroads Volunteers go to Africa & Brazil NOT to impose their own
     Western values, but to seek comprehension of counterpart
     values; they are challenged to adjust to local ways of doing many
     things

H o w   T o   A p p l y   F o r   a Project Director/Leader Position

Project  D I R E C T O R S / Group  L E A D E R S  go thru a separate
     application process with earlier deadlines (min. age, 26 - with
     relevant expertise, experience directing group projects, living
     and/or travel experience in Africa or similar setting), experience
     with multi-racial/multi-ethnic groups.

     To receive the application and job description, snail mail us,
     or send an E-Mail request to <BOTH>:

             "Proj Dir-Info" <oca at igc.apc.org>,
             "Proj Dir-Packet" <crw at loop.com>

     1) with a brief description of your interests & background

           [send us your snailmail address, phone & E-Mail]

     2) include  **L E A D E R**  in the Subject field

  O P E R A T I O N   C R O S S R O A D S   A F R I C A ,   I n c .
        475 Riverside Dr., N.Y., N.Y. 10115-0050, Suite 831
     212-870-2106 OFFICE / 212-870-2055 FAX / oca at igc.apc.org
               ...a non-profit org: IRS 501(c)(3)

                  Dr. James H. Robinson, Founder

                LaVerne Brown - Executive Offices

              Cecil R. Washington, Jr. - Consultant

    "...You will experience Africa from the inside out..
                                       ...This is NOT an African tour."

                 - Cynthia Archie, Alumna -

              State Department/Foreign Service
             Former Peace Corp Country Director