Light-induced sneezing and Argon effects

Cornelius Krasel krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de
Mon Oct 21 14:29:25 EST 1996

Paul D Boyer PhD (boyer at cs.uwp.edu) wrote:
> Another question is whether there are any side effects from breathing
> Argon gas.  This is a case of industrial exposure, where the tank warns
> that inhalation should be followed by removal to fresh air, and if not
> breathing, give artificial respiration.  Sounds a bit threatening, but I
> also know some manufacturers are a bit overzealous in their warnings.
> Anyone have any comments?

Argon is contained in the atmosphere at about 1%. I presume the warning
relates to an amount of argon where the amount of oxygen becomes
insufficient to keep you alive and well. I don't think that there
are other side effects of noble gases (except helium which makes
your voice squeak :-).

--Cornelius.