Science and Religion--Synthesis--Conference in Calcutta, Jan 9-12, 1997

Kainila P. Rajan bvinst at slip.net
Tue Oct 22 19:06:18 EST 1996

Second Announcement

SECOND WORLD CONGRESS
FOR THE
SYNTHESIS OF
SCIENCE AND RELIGION
January 9-12, 1997  --   Calcutta, India

organized by
The Bhaktivedanta Institute
San Francisco -- Bombay

STATEMENT OF PURPOSE

The Second World Congress will provide a forum to explore and highlight the
areas of commonality between scientific knowledge and religious wisdom in
order to find solutions to the many pressing problems facing humanity today.
Many Nobel laureates, statesmen, religious leaders, and eminent scholars
>From around the world are confirmed to speak.  The program format will
feature plenary sessions as well as panel discussions, giving the registered
participants ample opportunities for close interaction.

SCHEDULE OF SESSIONS
The overall program consists of two major parts: Conceptual Foundations and
Practical Issues.  The former aims to examine the foundations for a unity of
 Science and Religion, and the latter will focus on bringing these two disciplines
together for solving many human problems.

Morning Session 09:00 - 12:30 hrs.
Lunch Break 12:30 - 14:00 hrs.
Afternoon Session 14:00 - 18:00 hrs.

DAY 1  (THURSDAY, JANUARY 9, 1997)

Session I     Morning 			Inauguration

Session II    Afternoon
CONCEPTUAL FOUNDATIONS-Religion and the Natural World
Representatives from some major religions of the world present their views of the
natural world and make some observations about scientific theories and discoveries.

Cultural Program: Evening

DAY 2  (Friday, January 10, 1997)
Session III   Morning

CONCEPTUAL FOUNDATIONS-Science and Reality
Physicists, cosmologists, mathematicians, biologists, neuroscientists and philosophers
 will discuss the role of science in shaping our notions of reality.

Session IV   Afternoon	Science and Reality (continued); ending with Panel 						Discussion

DAY 3  (Saturday, January 11, 1997)

Session V    Morning		PRACTICAL ISSUES: Contemporary Ethical Challenges
The following topics will be discussed: Ecology/Environment; Bioethics/Technoethics;
 Business Ethics in the 21st Century.

Session VI   Afternoon	PRACTICAL ISSUES: Contemporary Ethical Challenges 					(continued)

DAY 4  (SUNDAY, JANUARY 12, 1997)

Session VII   Morning	PRACTICAL ISSUES: THE GLOBAL VISION
				--Science, Religion and the Ideal of World Peace

Session VIII   Afternoon	Concluding Session and Valedictory Addresses

Cultural Program: Evening
THE CONGRESS VENUE:

The 3,000 seat Nazrul Mancha Auditorium is located in the most scenic suburb of
southern Calcutta near Dhakuria Lake amidst a lush forest setting.  The winter
season in Calcutta is quite mild and pleasant.  Early morning temperatures range
>From 12-14 C.  Daytime temperatures rise to 27 C.  Please bring a comfortable jacket.

REGISTRATION:

India: Rs. 300 individual and Rs. 500 institutional
Foreign: $100 individual and $250 institutional

Early registration is recommended since the number of participants will be limited.
Please make registration checks payable to the Bhaktivedanta Institute. The
registration fee does not include accommodations. Information on locally available
accommodations can be obtained by writing to the Congress Secretariat in Calcutta.
Since this is a peak season for travel to India, please make a booking as soon as
possible.  The Congress Secretariat at the Bhaktivedanta Institute in Oakland can
recommend travel agents for flights originating within USA.

CONFIRMED SPEAKERS INCLUDE:

Charles H. Townes, Nobel Laureate, physics; University of California at
Berkeley, USA
George Wald, Nobel Laureate, biology; Harvard University
Mrs. Betty Williams, Nobel Laureate, Peace; Ireland
F.J. Varela, cognitive science, University of Paris, France
E. C. G. Sudarshan, particle physicist; University of Texas, Austin, USA
Gregory Benford, astrophysicist; University of California at Irvine, USA
Amit Goswami, quantum physics, University of Oregon, USA
S. P. Olivier, retired Rector; University of Durban, South Africa
Dr. Karan Singh, former Ambassador to the USA, New Delhi, India
Joe Kamiya, originator of biofeedback; University of California, San
Francisco, USA
Dr. Paredes Canto, Vice President of Peru, Peru
Grigoriy Kotovsky, Indologist; University of Moscow, Russia
David Long, philosopher; California State University, Sacramento, USA
Edward MacKinnon, philosopher of science; California State University,
Hayward, USA
Elemer Rosinger, mathematician, University of Pretoria, South Africa
A. Durwood Foster, theologist; Pacific School of Religion, Graduate Theological
Union, Berkeley, USA
Mr. Robert Muller, former Assistant Secretary General of the United Nations;
Costa Rica
M. M. Chakrabarty, President, The Asiatic Society, Calcutta, India
Daniel Matt, Center for Jewish Studies, Graduate Theological Union,
Berkeley, USA
Dr. Glenn Bucher, ethicist; President, Graduate Theological Union, Berkeley, USA
Mr. Srichand Hinduja, President, Hinduja Foundation, London, Great Britain
Guy Mazars, alternative medicine; University of Strasbourg, France
T. K. K. Iyer, bioethicist, Faculty of Law, National University of Singapore,
Singapore
Dora Bazan, philologist, San Marcos University, Peru
F. A. Moghadam, Nuclear chemistry, University of Tehran, Iran

ADDRESS COMMUNICATIONS TO:

SECRETARIAT FOR WORLD CONGRESS
Dr. T. D. Singh, Chairman
RC-8 Raghunathpur