STUDENT NEEDS HELP

David Konerding dek at socrates.ucsf.edu
Thu Oct 24 10:55:34 EST 1996

>Richard Grant is not being arrogant or sarcastic. He merely reflects the
>attitude of most of the scientists on this domain - that the reason students
>are students is to learn. The way for you to learn is to do the work
>yourself. Your instructor will not give you an impossible assignment. Part
>of the process is learning how to do library research. For any of us
>practicing scientists to just *give* you the information you seek is to do
>you a disservice. You will not learn to find it on your own, with the result
>that none of us will want to hire you when you complete your studies
>(emphasis on the last word).

High school students don't always have direct access to a research
library, you know.  It's especially hard when articles are published in
obscure journals, or not indexed, or in a common journal your local uni
cannot afford.

Oh, and, even for grad students, it can often be nice to be 'told the right
answer' rather than having to spend hours tracking down the answer or figuring
it out by hand.  If everybody had to figure out the codon table from first
principles and synthesis of r(U)3, it'd be a long time before we got anywhere.

To the original poster: I did a quick search in melvyl and didn't find
anything.  Your bet now is probably to track down older copies of text
indices to research journals.  Ask the reference librarian in your nearest
science library.