Absorbency of Polyurethane Foam

Cynthia Donahey cdonahey at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Wed Oct 30 17:17:31 EST 1996

I have been using cut-out pieces of polyurethane foam - as planters with
pretty good results. Mostly, I have been planting succulents and regular
garden plants.  No water plants - although it seems to be a fine growing
medium for that.  My question deals with the larger pieces of foam.  How
much water would one of these things hold.  How would it compare to the
same cubic volume of just plain old water.  I suppose it would be very
heavy.  During rainy times, the thing could act as sort of a wick to hold
moisture.