The human genom - how is it distributed?

Gustavo Glusman bmgustav at bioinfo.weizmann.ac.il
Tue Apr 1 13:00:08 EST 1997

In article <1qpoh5.aso.ln at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de> Cornelius Krasel,
krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de writes:
>Robert Lachmann (rolach at zedat.fu-berlin.de) wrote:
>> I am having an arguement with a friend of mine about how the human genes
>> are distributed on the DNA.That is, whether the human genes are
>> distributed on both DNA strands or just on one.
>
>In E. coli, both strands may serve as coding strands. I don't see
>any reason why it should be different in humans.

Indeed, it is not different in humans. There are plenty of examples of genes
that are 'tail to tail' or 'head to head', i.e. in opposite directions.
In the gene cluster I'm working on, about half of the genes are in one
direction and (of course) the other half in the opposite orientation. This
means, both strands are being used for coding, in different locations.

     Gustavo Glusman              Founder/administrator of BioMOO
     Gustavo at bioinfo.weizmann.ac.il    (public PGP key available)
     http://bioinfo.weizmann.ac.il/Gustavo
        Visit BioMOO, the biologists' virtual meeting place, at
     ___________ http://bioinfo.weizmann.ac.il/BioMOO ___________