GTA/GRA distinctions

Dave Rintoul drintoul at ksu.edu
Wed Apr 9 15:10:50 EST 1997

Greetings,

This may perhaps be a bizarre request for this newsgroup, but I
couldn't find any forum that seemed any better, so here goes...

I am the director of a graduate program in a large (45 faculty
members) Biology department at a medium sized (18,000 students) state
university.  Currently we require all of our graduate students,
regardless of the source of their support (fellowship, GTA, or
research funds) to teach a moderate amount. I would like to know if
this is a typical situation, and, as you might expect, it is quite
difficult to find this out merely by reading various promotional
materials put out by similarly sized biology departments. So I thought
I would ask here.

1. In your department, do all graduate students participate
   in teaching activities?

2. Approximately how many faculty ____ and how many graduate students
   ____ are currently in your department?

Please reply to me directly at

drintoul at ksu.edu

Thanks in advance

Dave

Dave Rintoul                 Internet: drintoul at ksu.ksu.edu
Biology Division - KSU     Latitude 39.18, Longitude -96.34
Manhattan KS 66506-4901                Compuserve: 71634,32
(913)-532-6663 or 5832                  FAX: (913)-532-6653