Carbon Helix Bond

Soisports rules!!! blanjb at hg.uleth.ca
Fri Apr 11 19:51:23 EST 1997

Jim Bullard wrote:

> Please explain what a double helix bond might be? Never heard of it. Are
> you talking about a hydrogen bond, phosphodiester bond, London Dispersion
> forces (stacking interactions), etc.
>
> Jim Bullard
> CB# 3290
> Venable Hall
> Chapel Hill, NC 27599
>
> Lab 919-966-3184
> Fax 919-966-3675
> e-mail jbullard at nun.oit.unc.edu
>
> On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, Rob wrote:
>
> >  I was wondering if Silicon could form a double helix bond like like the
> > one carbon forms in DNA?  Please respond as soon as possible.
> >                     thanks, justin

Oh Come on!!
Give the guy a break!
I'm sure he is wondering if Silicon could take the place of carbon and
form a similar structure as that of DNA

	Structure involving two antiparallel, hydrogen-bonded polynucleotide
chains wound into a right-handed helical configuration.

Perhaps, phosphodiester bonds could link rings of silicon, but what
about the h-bonding necessary between the amino acids?
Anyone know?  Is is possible to get silicon to form a structure similar
to a nucleotide?