Psychology of Asthma.

A.R.Friedel s3e0101 at sunmail.lrz-muenchen.de
Mon Apr 14 06:11:27 EST 1997

On 12 Apr 1997 cigolott at nbnet.nb.ca wrote:

> In message <5ileov$9it$1 at sparcserver.lrz-muenchen.de> -
> s3e0101 at lrz-muenchen.de ()11 Apr 1997 13:36:31 GMT writes:
> >
> >Greetings,
> >
> >Am looking for material on why, as appears to me to be the case,
> >an asthmatic fails to realise that hyperventilation is destructive,
> >that it is more like a vice, when she or he has enough
> >"resources" like breathing less or exertion for correction, which it seems
> >other persons use subconsciously.
> >
> >I myself feel very strongly that this approach is scientifically
> >correct.
> >
> >Regards, A.R.Friedel s3e0101 at sunmail.lrz-muenchen.de
>
> Breaking down the posibilities....
>
> -the function of breathing excessivly
> -too much oxygen
> -other

Thanks for your comments; I think a more general view is called for, like
deciding on the proper approach in restucturing a company.  There
are similarities  because there are two different types of systems.
What do we want to keep and what do we want to alter?  With asthma
 presumably a living body and mind, with a company presumably the
workforce and plant.  If a company is buying too much of something
(corresponding to breathing too much oxygen) then it is quite
likely to be due to an incompetent manager. He must be fired or
his orders not acted upon directly but only after consideration by
a superior.  In the case of asthma it appears to be the signals
from the respiration center that are wrong.  They need to be differently
understood and not acted upon in every case. There is then no
"function" of breathing excessivly. Taking an extreme, anti-logical
and pragmatic approach, one could return to the idea of the
devil or demon but this would not be acceptable to most people,
which goes to show that asthma may be a social construct.

Regards, A.R.Friedel s3e0101 at sunmail.lrz-muenchen.de