Volunteer evaluators of bio web content

pjdonohue at lbl.gov pjdonohue at lbl.gov
Tue Apr 15 14:21:20 EST 1997

Our "Biology Group" at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory's Human
Genome Center is seeking interested volunteers to provide us with valuable
information on construction of a NEW web site for our human genome mapping
and functional genomics research. We would like our new site to be as
informative as possible to both geneticists and interested public
browsers. If you would like to help us by evaluating the content we will
produce following your guidance, we are asking that you review the current
site and complete the 10-question survey below by April 25; then WHEN WE
POST OUR NEW SITE, review it again and complete a second small survey. You
may find our location listed in the survey below, or you may contact us
for more information.
 THANK YOU.
Pat Donohue, researcher

•  WEBSITE  PRE-SURVEY •
RETURN TO:
Biology Group, Human Genome Center, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
attn: Patricia Donohue
One Cyclotron Rd. MS 74-157, Berkeley, CA 94720
Ph: 510-486-6714,  Fx: 510-486-6746,  Email: PJDonohue at lbl.gov

SITE LOCATION:
http://www-hgc.lbl.gov/mapping.html

PLEASE SELECT THE CLOSEST ANSWER(S) THAT MATCH YOUR RESPONSE TO QUESTIONS
1-6. ANY FURTHER ELABORATIONS YOU WOULD LIKE TO MAKE ARE WELCOME BY ADDING
COMMENTS AT THE END OF THIS SURVEY:

What is your computing platform?
___ PC
___ Mac
___ Unix
___ Other: ________________________
___ Don't know

Which browser do you use for viewing web pages?
___ Internet Explorer (version:___)
___ Netscape Navigator (version:___)
___ Spyglass Mosaic
___ Lynx or "text based" viewer
___ Other:________________________

1.  Which category most closely describes you as a visitor to this site:
___ surfer (with science interest)
___ surfer (with no particular scientific interest)
___ student
___ educator / trainer
___ scientist / medical professional
___ informatics / computer professional
___ geneticist / biologist
___ not any of the above

2.  The most likely reason you would visit this site again would be:
___ no reason, just to visit
___ mild curiosity
___ interest in biology / science
___ interest in genetics / genomics
___ to download data or post new data
___ probably would not visit
___ I would visit it, but for different reasons

3.  Which areas of the Biology Group site did you visit / review?
___ group member information
___ description of group work
___ data maps
___ developing in vivo libraries
___ nothing beyond the home page

4.  What I found of most interest at this site was:
___ descriptions of projects / strategies
___ research approaches
___ basic information about Biology Group
___ specific data
___ information on current research
___ None of these

5.  Which statement describes your assessment of the site's design and
construction?
___ site construction is attractive and appropriate to its subject
___ site construction is attractive but does not fit the subject matter
___ site construction is appropriate to its subject but is not especially
attractive
___ site construction is unattractive and does not fit the subject matter

6.  How did you find the navigation around the site?
___ it was easy to navigate the site and find information
___ it was difficult to navigate the site, but information was accessible
___ it was easy to navigate the site, but information was difficult to
find
___ it was difficult to navigate the site and hard to find information

7.  What did you find is the most important component at this site?

8.  What did you find is the least important component at this site?

9.  Before you saw this site, what did you expect to find here?

10.  What would you add, change, or delete from this site in the future?

Please feel free to add your additional comments:

___ Please send me copies of the results of the study.
___ I would like to request further information on:

Name (optional):
Email (required):