Gerard Tromp tromp at
Mon Apr 21 09:33:08 EST 1997

utwe0000 at wrote:
> Bert van de Kmap <invy at> wrote:
> Hi Bert,
> sorry, I'm german, and most of these english names are unknown to me. But
> maybe I can help you with one or the other.
> : These are the English common names:
> : Eastern spadefoot toad (SCAPHIOPUS HOLBROOKII)
Good going except for the next one here -- arum below is a plant. The
arum "lily" is of the genus Xanthedescia (sp?).
> : Elephant ear arum (?; African E.= Loxodonta africana,
>                       2 subspecies: L.a. africana, L.a. cyclotis
>                       Asian E.= Elephas maximus, 4 subspecies: E.m.
>                       bengalensis, maximus, sumatranus, hirsutus)
> : Lion (Panthera leo)
> : ants (Formicidae) , or do "Lion" and "ants" belong together and mean the
> ant-eating insect? Then it's called: MYRMELEON FORMICARIUS
> : northern spotted owl (Bubo africanus? german expression is only "spotted
> owl")
> It's not so much, but I hope, I could help at least a little.
>   Greetings   Ute

Gerard Tromp, Ph.D.
CMMG, Wayne State University    vox:	313-577-8773
3116, Scott Hall		fax: 	313-577-5218
540 E Canfield Ave		e-mail: tromp at
Detroit, MI 48201                       gtromp at