Crayfish question

Bill DiSessa wdisessa at tir.com
Wed Apr 30 19:48:31 EST 1997

Hi,

Can someone confirm that crayfish do leave water and, if so, why and to
what extent. A friend of mine claims crayfish or crawdaddies never leave
the water, but I'm sure they do. I seem to recall seeing somewhere that
they sometimes build burrows from creeks and ponds to yards and other
areas not necessarily right next to water. Also, please confirm that the
holes found above the water line next to creeks with the caked mud along
the entrance are, in fact, crayfish burrows...Thanks in advance.