How do plants turn towards light?

Mon Feb 3 12:02:44 EST 1997

On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, Fredrik Loenn wrote:

> I'm a physiscist, so I'm not very good at these bio-matters. Me and my
> girlfriend (who's a chemist and say's she knows better) have been
> discussing something I think I've read in som semi-scientific magazine
> some time ago.
>
> Plants turn towards the sun (or other illumination), because the cells
> not exposed to the light, split more quickly. This makes the plant bend
> against the light.
>
> Is this idiotic, as my girlfriend says? In that case: What makes them
> turn and bend, the way they do?

They do it because they NEED sun light and because they
LIKE it (LOVE it). It is the same reason what turns you to
your girlfriend. Of course, you can look for the specific
"mechanisms" of need, love and attraction. This is called
reductionism. However, for the most part reductionistic
explanations are limited and restricted and only provide
the pretense of an answer. And if you wanna a test, try
to answer why there is graviatation attaction between the
2 masses. All lecturings on the curved metrics and
Einstein's tensors notwhistending we stil don't now why.

Cheers from another physicsist.
Alex Berezin