PHEROMONS

Dan Holdsworth drh92 at aber.ac.uk
Mon Feb 3 05:43:30 EST 1997

In article <5cqn80$pbq at service3.uky.edu>, Laurie Davison
<ldavison at pop.uky.edu> writes:

[...]

:   There is a tendency in science to say "Yeah, ok, there are pheremones
:in other mammals, but that doesn't mean humans do it, too!" A better
:statement might be "There is evidence for the use of pheremones in other
:mammals, therefore it is possible that humans also use pheremones."

One recent development was the finding that humans have a functional
vomeronasal organ. This is usually the sensor for pheromones in most other
mammals; the fact that humans possess it suggests that they _may_ use
pheromones; it scupprs the old argument that "No vomeronasal organ = No
Pheromones".

The actual research on the pheromones is more clouded, though. Several
studies exist; most are dubious either in methodology or results, or have
too few results to be statistically very significant.

One recent development is to use purported sex pheromones to sell perfumes;
in this case the female-produced, male-sensed pheromone is put into the MENS'
perfume, and the male-produced, female-sensed pheromone is put into the
female perfume.

In short, if you are buying the stuff for the attraction effects, it won't
work. The makers are using the pheromones purely to exploit the supposed
pheromone-related sexual arousal to sell the perfumes...

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java
that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a
warning, it is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Dan Holdsworth, drh92 at aber.ac.uk **SPAMMERS WILL BE FILTERED**