PHEROMONES

Jim Kohl jkohl at vegas.infi.net
Fri Feb 7 00:16:46 EST 1997

In article <5d4fgi$1g0 at osfb.aber.ac.uk>, drh92 at aber.ac.uk says...

>The actual research on the pheromones is more clouded, though. Several
>studies exist; most are dubious either in methodology or results, or
>have too few results to be statistically very significant.

Then again, how many studies and of what type would it take to convince
the skeptics. I've seen fit to extend the mammalian model of
olfactory-hormonal-behavioral reciprocity to humans. I continue to be
amazed with any lack of acceptance for so doing. That is, since when
doesn't a mammalian model of something appear to extend well to humans?
It appears that when someone starts talking/writing about the influence
of pheromones on human sexuality, the animal link requires more proof
than can be provided via a human study. Our response to chemosensory
stimuli is, after all, aquired over a lifetime of experience, which makes
it difficult to control for many other influences if one attempts to
prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that human pheromones have powerful
effects on human behavior.

Jim Kohl
http://www.pheromones.com