What is a proper measure for a good scientist?

Susan Jane Hogarth sjhogart at unity.ncsu.edu
Sun Feb 9 19:30:12 EST 1997

Noam Shormon wrote:

> I have currently graduated from a Biotechnology degree at a University in
> Australia. I have a military background as an officer and some lab
> experience as well (about 2 months with extremely good references).
> Unfortunately I could not memorize "The Cell" by Alberts et al (or any
> other text book) and therefore my GPA is just below 3.0 (although at the
> Uni I studied even that is hard to achieve). While I am searching for a
> job, or appling for further studies, the only measure for accepting me are
> my previuos marks.
> IS THAT FAIR???!!!

Not only is it not fair, it's not even true (at least here in the US).
Most schools will have GPA *guidelines*, but will certainly take into
account other factors (such as experience, etc.). I should know - my
undergrad GPA was 2.95 (or close...), and I'm working on a PhD now....
--
'To you I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.'
        Woody Allen, from "Stardust memories"

Suzuki GS page: http://homepage.cistron.nl/~peterh/gsresources/