Question

Geoff Barton gjb at bioch.ox.ac.uk
Mon Feb 10 08:55:23 EST 1997

Susan Jane Hogarth wrote:

> Steve Buckley wrote:
> >
> > The simple problem (to my mind at least) is that if a person eats, for the
> > sake or argument, 1Kg of food would they weigh 1Kg more if they were
> > weighed straight after eating?
> >
> >  I would really like to hear your opinions possible backed up by some
> > scientific reasoning as friends of mine swear blind the food will
> > miraculously weigh less once in the body!
>
> You're right. Your friend is wrong. As a matter of fact, your friend is
> _so_ wrong, I wonder if you two are talking about the same thing... do
> both of you mean the same thing when you say "weighed straight after
> eating"? To *me*, that seems very clear. Here:
>
> I weigh 135 pounds <well, it's USENET; I can weigh what I want!>
> I eat a 3-pound cheesecake, washing it down with 1/2-pound of kool-ade.
> Voila! Now I weigh 138.5 pounds - until I piss, sweat, crap, or vomit (I
> guess you lose carbon through respiration, too, but that can hardly
> amount to much in a half-hour or so...).

If you are going to be pedantic, then surely this is the key point.
The act of eating food requires energy.  I'm sure a physiologist would
be able to point you at the literature that says how much and what
the corresponding weight loss was.  I guess this would depend on
what you were metabolising at that time.  I doubt
you could detect the difference on a set of bathroom scales...

Geoff.