I have a strange chicken egg ...

Cormac Shaw cshaw at acadamh.ucd.ie
Mon Feb 10 08:05:13 EST 1997

On Sun, 09 Feb 1997 16:16:10 +0000 (GMT)
Tom Fantacone <fanta at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>I bought some eggs at the supermarket the other day.  One of them has a
>small brown spot on the shell, and a tiny white feather growing out of
>the spot.  Is this very unusual?  What could cause it?

Sorry to disappoint you Tom, but I'm pretty sure that what you've got
there is an egg with a small sticky, dirty patch to which a small feather
has become stuck. It was, after all, in close proximity to a chicken
at one stage (or has factory farming gone a few stages further?).

>Should I eat it?

Only if your cholesterol levels are okay.

>Should I expose it to radiation and see if it hatches into a super
>chicken?

And they say scientists are mad!  ;-)

Cheers,

C.
Cormac Shaw, BSc,                 |
Dept. of Industrial Microbiology, |  e-mail: cshaw at acadamh.ucd.ie
University College Dublin,        |   phone: +353 (1) 706 1796
Dublin 4, Ireland                 |     fax: +353 (1) 706 1183